Friday, March 5, 2010

Outstanding Review for Departure Point / Garbageman Astronaut

The evening reception at Garbageman Astronaut I thought went well. (The gallery I co-operate at the Everett Station Lofts) Departure Point I thought made for a compelling painting show for the 1st Thursday evening here in downtown Portland. I talked with many folks and the artist's seemed pleased. I was in bed by 11pm. It was along day to a long week. I awoke twice last night. The first time was to loud music my next door neighbor decided to turn up at 2am. I lay awake for an hour with a headache. The second time i was woken up was to the sound of what i thought was something in the front room rustling around. around 6:30am. I was half wake and decided to try and sleep through it. In the morning I decided to open the front door and see if that was the place of agitation. And sure enough it was. At first I thought a homeless person had made a temporary nest in our front door alcove, but upon closer inspection I noticed that there was malicious intent of vandalization to our front door specifically. Usually when the front of the building gets hit, all the doors of the separate galleries get tagged. But our door was the only one this time. There was water based paint thrown at it, lip stick smeared in random places, trash strewn about, oddly a handful of almonds were there filling space, and the worse was dog crap smeared and thrown on our sign. which was only recently installed two nights ago due to the fact that the first was stolen a few weeks ago. Some one really does not like us or is not in favor of contemporary painting. I have no reason why someone would attack our space. I barely know anyone in this town and my partner in the gallery doesn't either. Non the less it was pretty funny, well besides the dog crap i had to wipe off the sign with my last wash towel. Anyways, bad press is better than no press I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment